The game of fastpitch softball has enjoyed a huge rise in popularity through the years, dating back to the 1930’s, when the Amateur Softball Association was first formed. As the game has developed into the highly competitive organized sport that it is today, the bats used in fastpitch have become increasingly more sophisticated in their technology and design. Unfortunately for many families, the cost of fastpitch bats has risen through the years as well.
Historically speaking, if you played fastpitch softball for your local high school team in the 1970’s, the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for a bat would have seemed unthinkable at the time. In fact, if you had asked your parent for such an amount of cash to purchase a bat, you would have likely been on the receiving end of a shocked facial expression followed by laughter that you would even ask such a question. But times have changed. Today, many of the best fastpitch bats come with a price tag that can simply be unaffordable for a typical family budget.
Consider, for example, the progression through the years from the basic, run-of-the-mill aluminum bat that could be obtained for well under $50, to the advanced technology of the far more expensive composite bats that we see on the market today. With the typical bat boasting a two-piece balanced design, along with a built for minimal vibration handle, plus a massive barrel with extended sweet spot for maximum power and pop, such models are basically unattainable for under $250 to $300.
If such prices make you almost faint, take heart. If fastpitch softball is your sport and you are wondering where you can find a reasonably priced bat, the good news is that there are, in fact, more than a few excellent options available. It’s just a matter of locating the best deals, and that is where the information in this article can help! Let’s take a look at some low-cost fastpitch softball bat options available on the market in 2015.
Cheap Fastpitch Softball Bats Comparison Chart
The chart below provides a comparison of some of the cheaply priced models offered by the most reputable and well known bat manufacturing companies. For a number of years, Easton, Louisville Slugger, Worth, and more recently DeMarini, have been leaders in producing quality products in the fastpitch softball bat industry. There are other companies that manufacture fastpitch softball bats, but these four are considered to be the most trusted and reputable names in the industry. With that in mind, take a look at the following comparison chart:
Things To Consider When Buying A Cheap Fastpitch Softball Bat
It is important at this point to note that when we use the word “cheap” in this article, we are referring to cheap in terms of price, not cheap in terms of quality. The simple fact is that all of the bats manufactured by Easton, Demarini, Louisville Slugger, and Worth are high quality products. True, these companies do produce some models that are more advanced in technology and design than some of their other models, but all of the fastpitch bats that bear their name are sound in terms of construction, and are fit for use at the level of fastpitch softball play designated.
There are several important items to consider when looking for an inexpensive, high quality fastpitch softball bat, which the following list identifies:
- Check to make sure that the bat is approved for play by the major sanctioning softball associations. Among the softball organizations that approve fastpitch bats for organized league and tournament play are: ASA, USSSA, NSA, ISA, ISF.
- A durable and inexpensive bat should be constructed of a strong, relatively light, high quality aluminum alloy or composite material to facilitate good bat speed and power.
- The bat should provide a large barrel, or sweet spot, for maximum contact. Many of the newer models are extending the sweet spot to facilitate better contact with the ball.
- Many bats are designed to provide greater power, while some are designed to facilitate better contact for hitters who “slap” the ball. Still other bats are designed to provide a balanced swing, or for greater bat speed. The important thing to remember is to purchase a bat that is designed for the style of hitter that you are.
- Make sure that the bat size and length is appropriate for your level of league and tournament play.
How To Find A Cheap Fastpitch Softball Bat On Amazon
Fortunatley, there has never been a better time in history to find a deal online for any product. This certainly applies to the purchase of a fastpitch softball bat as well, and one of the best places to find a deal is on Amazon. They have an excellent menu of bats, complete with a photo of each bat, a thorough description, size options available, and price information.
To explore the selection available on Amazon, you can narrow your search to encompass information by brand, bat length and weight, material (composite or aluminum), and price range. The price range categories listed are as follows: under $25, $25 to $50, $50 to $100, $100 to $200, and $200 and above. If you limit your search to the categories under $100, you can find an excellent selection of fastpitch bats, some of which are priced at under $20!
Top 5 Cheap Fastpitch Softball Bats
While there are actually many high quality, low priced bat options available from the major bat manufacturers discussed in this article, there are several choices that rise above the rest of the field in terms of quality and performance. Here is our top 5 list, all of which are approved by the major softball associations for play in organized competition:
- Worth AMP Fastpitch Softball Bat -11: Priced in the $25 to $50 range, this is a one-piece aluminum alloy bat with a thin taper for lighter weight, and an extra large extended barrel that forms a massive sweet spot. All of this translates into a bat that generates both increased swing speed and power.
- DeMarini Cat -11 Fastpitch Softball Bat: This is an outstanding alloy bat that is highly durable, and that provides a balanced swing for the hitter. Priced in the $50 range, this is a great bargain.
- Louisville Slugger Diva -11.5 Fastpitch Softball Bat: For a price in the $30 range, this bat provides durable alloy construction with exceptional pop generated from a large 2 1/4 inch barrel. A great bat for the power hitter.
- Easton FP14S200 FS200-10 Fastpitch Softball Bat, Easton FP14S300 FS300-11 Fastpitch Softball Bat, and Easton FP14S400 FS400-12 Fastpitch Softball Bat: Priced in the $30 to $80 range, this series of Easton bats provide the ultimate in aluminum alloy durability, power, and contact. Its 2 1/4 inch barrel provides the hitter with a great sweet spot.
- Worth Legit™ 1-Piece Alloy Fastpitch Bat (-11): Worth has crafted this durable lightweight bat to produce a combination of dynamic bat speed and solid power. Its thin taper and extended barrel insure that the hitter gains the benefit of both a lightweight feel and a large sweet spot. At only about $40, this bat is an excellent buy.
The simple truth is that even in this day of pricey bats, you can still find a high quality fastpitch softball bat for well under $100. For this relatively inexpensive price, you can own a bat that is designed to maximize bat speed, contact, and power via lightweight design and a large barrel with an extended sweet spot. Remember to compare bats to see what specific features they offer, and select the one that best suits your playing style. Good luck to you on the softball field!